Today was grocery shopping day for the week (yes, I said the week). We plan and shop on a weekly basis to help save money on groceries. There are numerous reasons I think this can be beneficial financially some of them that immediately comes to mind are:
- We have a plan for the week. We are not governed by a whim during the week
- We are less likely to go out because we have a plan and we know what we are going to eat every day.
- We can take advantage of buying ingredients for more than one meal (5 pounds of chicken, 3 pounds ground beef and vegetables can be purchased and not wasted.
- We can buy extra when things are on sale and plan meals to use them on.
There are many more things that can be said and many more strategies that I will get into eventually but here are some details from our first 2 months of 2017.
- Total spent including eating out was $1230
- Total number of days 55
- Cost per day 22.36
- Cost per meal/person- $1.06
We ate out 4 times in those 2 months with all 5 kids and we eat a TON. A few numbers from last week: 15+ pounds of fruit, 7 pounds of ground beef, 2 pounds of chicken and more. My 2 year old eats more than some adults and we still spent just over a $1 a meal for 2 months.
How much would that be for a family of 4? $90/week including all eating out.
Save just $10 a week and you could end up with $7,520 in a savings account in 10 years or nearly $21,000 in 20 if you invested it.
Are the 2 boxes of Keurig coffee worth that much? Make up your own mind.